Why Chesed Home?
As the number of adults with mental illness increases….
…the number of licensed residential care facilities has dwindled steadily since the 1980s
- Increasing costs associated with maintaining facilities
- No increase in SSI state funding to offset these increases
- 11 licensed facilities in SD County recently closed
- Only 70 licensed residences remain today vs. 125 in 1985
- Less than 1,000 beds available in SD County today
What would you do if your loved one or friend was diagnosed with a serious mental illness and had no other option but to live in substandard conditions?